The offbeat card game/escape room hybrid became the first game to win the grand prize at both the Game Developers Choice Awards and the Independent Games Festival Awards.
This week, Game Developers Conference 2022 took place in San Francisco, and the proceedings featured a pair of awards ceremonies highlighting achievement in the video game medium throughout the last year. The Game Developers Choice Awards (CDCA) honored a number of titles across several categories such as visual arts, innovation, social impact, and narrative. Meanwhile, The Independent Games Festival (IGF) Awards recognized quality in the indie space.
In both ceremonies, which were held in back-to-back presentations on GDC’s main stage on Wednesday, indie hit Inscryption by Daniel Mullins Games won game of the year awards. It is the first title in the history of both events to do so. The card game/escape room hybrid also nabbed nominations across several categories for both shows.
At the GDCA, other big winners included indie darling Unpacking, which took home awards for Innovation and Best Audio. Meanwhile, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart won for Best Visual Arts and Best Technology. Survival sim Valheim also did very well; it won the Best Debut and Audience Award categories.
Below is the full list of GDCA winners:
- Best Debut: Valheim
- Best Visual Arts: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Best Audio: Unpacking
- Best Narrative: Psychonauts 2
- Social Impact Award: Boyfriend Dungeon
- Innovation Award: Unpacking
- Best Technology: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Best Design: It Takes Two
- Audience Award: Valheim
- Game of the Year: Inscryption
- Ambassador Award: Stephen Spohn
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Yuji Horii
At the IGF Awards, Inscryption came out on top in four categories, including the Seumas McNally Grand Prize. Below is the full list of winners:
- Best Student Game: Live Adventure
- Excellence in Design: Inscryption
- Excellence in Visual Art: Papetura
- Excellence in Audio: Inscryption
- Nuovo Award: Memory Card
- Excellence in Narrative: Inscryption
- Audience Award: Mini Motorways
- Seumas McNally Grand Prize: Inscryption
For more stories like this one delivered straight to your inbox, please subscribe to the GameDailyBiz Digest!/* =$comments; */?>